Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Small Taste of Oregon News

My rainy winter was consumed by Oregon News and the infamous editing lab in Allen hall 314. I commend the School of Journalism and Communication and Professor Rebecca Force for creating a class curriculum that has been designed to provide students the opportunity to work on a live news show. In my opinion the half hour student produced and directed show gets as close to the real world of TV news as possible while in a class setting. Our class, of about twelve students, worked together in rotational roles to produce a full half hour live news show. We pitched story ideas, were lead by student producers, shot and edited packages, and by the end of the week, two anchors and a sports anchor put their heavy camera makeup on and delivered an Oregon News segment. The class was demanding, stressful, and often frustrating. More importantly, the class was insightful, rewarding, and memorable. We relied heavily on teamwork and worked long nights to meet deadlines. Some of the work I completed over the course of the term has been used for my resume reel. As I embark on the 'real world' my resume reel will accompany a more traditional cover letter and resume. I finally gave in and set up a YouTube channel and several samples of my work done for Oregon News will be available to view! The videos now available to view include a sample of my stand ups from various packages and a segment from the sports block of our final show. Enjoy!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment