Thursday, May 28, 2009

Oh What a Season

This spring I took on the head coach responsibilites for the girls varisty lacrosse team at Sheldon High School. This year was my third season with the Sheldon Irish, but my first season as head coach. If I could find the right words to sum up the season in a nut shell, I would, but I can't even begin to express how much I enjoyed this season. There was something different about this year.... was this year different because I had more responsibilty? Because of the group of girls? Or simply because I my love for the sport was renewed?


I can't say for sure, but I will say that something was different this year. I was able to see the girls make significant progess and that was extremely rewarding. I was able to teach a whole group of young athletes how to play lacrosse for their first season, that's exciting. In fact, one of my new comers even made second team all league. Like any competetive team we had our driving forces and due to their success I was able to nominate one girl for All American honors.
Let's talk about responsiblity. Wow! I had 25 girls not only relying on me for at least two hours Mon-Fri, but I also had their full attention and would like to believe I acted as a role model.



I was tough on them, I made them run to the point that they often times hated me. When it was all said and done, they appreciated it... at least I think so. This season was extremely rewarding. Whether I was jumping up and down on the sideline, hearing from parents that I was making an impact on their daughters life, or thinking up new fun ways to present fundental skills - lacrosse football was a hit - the season and our record (11-3) can be deemed a success!

Speaking of success... I was finally able to get the team a little local media coverage! Last winter I had the opportuntiy to intern at KVAL and it just so happened that KVAL's sports department made it to one of your games this season! You can watch the video and see the girls in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment